“Synod” means “walking together.” Mighty Fortress is a member of the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod (WELS). WELS began in 1850 in Wisconsin and has become a diversified, international body of believers with highly trained pastors and teachers. Today it has grown to 1,241 congregations in North America with 405,279 baptized members, which includes 316,386 communicants served by 1,245 pastors. The Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod os a church body that:
- Stands boldly on the truth of God’s Word
- Focuses on our mission of sharing the gospel with all people
- Is a confessional Lutheran body, holding on to the great truths restored to the church through the Lutheran Reformation
- Values Christ-centered gospel-proclaiming worship, in which Word and Sacrement are the powerful means through which the Holy Spirit works
- Recognizes the importance of Christian education on all levels
- Is relevant where every sermon preached and class taught touches the everyday faith and life of God’s people
- Is joyful and optimistic, living in the joy and confidence that only the gospel cangive
- Is friendly and welcoming to outsiders
- Upholds the blessings of marriage as God has defined it
- Celebrates the roles that God has given to men and women and provides opportunities for all to serve joyfully in those roles
- Values and defends the human life that God has created since conception.
Through our synod, we support mission work around the world.